Dan is the firm’s founder, in 2018, having previously founded Reisler Franklin LLP in 2000 and practiced insurance defence litigation since 1980.
Dan’s trial experience is extensive. He has made numerous appearances at the Court of Appeal for Ontario but is probably best known as jury trial counsel. He may have conducted more civil jury trials than any lawyer in Canada.
Dan has been peer-selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Canada since 2008 and is listed as Consistently Recommended in Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory. He is a past President of Canadian Defence Lawyers and has been active in DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar and IADC, the International Association of Defense Counsel.
For nine years, Dan served as an adjunct professor of Civil Trial Advocacy at Queen’s University’s Faculty of Law. He is a frequent speaker at continuing legal education seminars on insurance and tort law and practice.
Dan enjoys running, tennis, and skiing and is an avid fan of jazz and contemporary music. He is married to Dale, a lawyer, and their two children are currently completing the bar admission process and law school, respectively.
Jury trial results are generally not reported however the following trial results are mentioned as an illustration
Callum Bruff-Murphy et al. v. Gunawardena
• November/December 2015, 5 week jury trial
• Claim for $2.5 million for chronic pain and post traumatic stress disorder
• Liability admitted. Jury award $25,000
• Action dismissed due to operation of statutory threshold
Shehryar Ayaz Siddiqui et al. v. Saima Siddiqui et al.
• May/June 2015
• Liability and damages from motor vehicle accident;
• Damages of 13 year old passenger with severe brain injury and permanent disability assessed at $1.5 million including interest. Liability against our client travelling 15km/hr over the speed limit and striking the left turning co-defendant assessed at 5%
McLean v Finnegan’s Roadhouse et al.
• October/November 2012
• Jury trial involving commercial host liability following fatal automobile accident
• Jury instructed that by law and agreement of the parties, they had to find at least 1% liability against the defendant bar
• Jury assessed only 1% liability against defendant bar
Honours & Awards
Memberships & Affiliations